These Broken Stars

— feeling question
These Broken Stars - Amie Kaufman, Meagan Spooner

There was something wonderful about this story, but I can't quite put my finger on it.
I have to say, the book started out very strong but got progressively worse. What began as an epic tale of survival, became a cheesy romance and super weird alien....portal..mystery.....thing.
Both main characters were interesting enough, but they weren't very original. I didn't get attached to either of them, and right now I can't even remember their names. Wow.
What I was attached to was the intensity of the plot. The suspense was always killer, even though half the time NOTHING was happening. They could just be arguing about who had worse problems, and I'd still be on the edge of my seat. (Okay probably not.) Seriously though, It was strangely cool. Even when things got really weird and left me like whaaaaaaaa?, the intensity still pulled me in.
What I don't get, is why there is a sequel. WHhhYyY? I loved following there struggle to survive. But all that weird alien portal stuff JUST NO. NO OKAY. IT DOESN'T FIT AT ALL. I WANTED A NICE SPACEY SURVIVAL STORY NOT......WHATEVER IT WAS
Since this review has lost all sanity I'm going to finish up with my favourite aspect of the story. The idea of a spoiled rich girl tromping through the forest in an extravagant green dress and heels. It looks so great in my head.